The Burundi Red Cross and the ICRC help people restore and maintain contact with family members living in another country through Red Cross messages
. This service is provided for:
- unaccompanied minors or separated children;
- child soldiers;
- refugees living in a UNHCR camp (Bwagiriza/Ruyigi, Gasorwe/Muyinga, Musasa/Kiremba, Kavumu/Cankuzo) and urban refugees;
- detainees held far away from their families in all places of detention (within Burundi or abroad);
- civilians who have lost contact with a family member living abroad due to armed conflict, other situations of violence, natural or man-made disasters, or migration; and
- when other means of communication (telephone lines, postal system, etc.) are disrupted or not available;
or in other situations of humanitarian need, when possible.
We cannot accept Red Cross messages
between adults in Burundi unless they are refugees, persons deprived of their freedom or in case of an emergency case.